The Huge Question Ridley Scott Wants To Answer With His Alien Sequels

28 Nov 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

Alien Covenant will be the first film in a new prequel trilogy.

The filmmaker revealed that his next film, “Alien: Covenant,” a sequel to 2012’s “Prometheus,” will be the first of three prequel movies that flow into the events of his 1979 sci-fi horror classic that made a star out of Sigourney Weaver. “Prometheus 1 was borne out of my frustration that on Alien 1 in 1979 — I only did one as I don’t normally do sequels,” the filmmaker, who turns 78 on Monday, said at a press conference in Sydney, Australia, according to the Hollywood Reporter. “I was amazed that in the 3 that followed that no one asked the question, ‘Why the Alien, who made it and why?’ Very basic questions. Ridley Scott used to be the poster child for never doing sequels, but after bending that rule with Prometheus and breaking it by co-writing and producing the upcoming Blade Runner 2, it seems the legendary director is now determined to make as many Alien films as possible.Ridley Scott’s upcoming “Alien: Covenant” will use Australia’s New South Wales for its principal photography, following the injection of state government support.

The film had previously been confirmed to shoot in Australia, following a federal government grant, and several states had jockeyed to land the picture. The NSW government did not specify how much finance it will provide, but said that the film would contribute some $43 million (A$60 million) to the local economy.

The film, set for an Oct. 6, 2017, release, may be set in the same universe but it’s light years away from a second “Aliens” project that’s being developed by “District 9” director Neill Blomkam. That’s a lot of foward planning, and maybe a bit of a nightmare for the screenwriters who have to somehow film at least six hours of running time with stories which link to Alien without just being awkward connect the dot tales. Scott also had some more to say about Covenant: “So I’m now going to the next one, which is the next evolution directly connected with the first one.

We’ll kind of pick it up there, with Michael Fassbender in pieces, and it will evolve…” He also confirmed that Noomi Rapace will have some limited screen time but mostly it will be about a new crew, of the supposedly doomed spaceship Covenant. This is a technically challenging film to make but our NSW filmmakers are up to the task,” said NSW Deputy Premier and Minister for the Arts Troy Grant.

Shooting is set to start in Australia from May, and despite the mixed reaction to Prometheus, the new trilogy may at least land in a cinema climate with a new-found bug for sci-fi. “Star Wars will be a juggernaut,” Scott “quipped,” as THR tells it. “Why do you think I’m doing sequels?”

Here you can write a commentary on the recording "The Huge Question Ridley Scott Wants To Answer With His Alien Sequels".

* Required fields
All the reviews are moderated.
Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site