Ridley Scott reveals Alien: Covenant begins new trilogy to connect to Alien

27 Nov 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

Alien Covenant will be the first film in a new prequel trilogy.

At a meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop in September, legendary British filmmaker Ridley Scott encouraged a change to Australia’s filmmaking incentives that could mean three movies will be shot in Sydney.Ridley Scott used to be the poster child for never doing sequels, but after bending that rule with Prometheus and breaking it by co-writing and producing the upcoming Blade Runner 2, it seems the legendary director is now determined to make as many Alien films as possible.

The director of such classics as , Blade Runner, Thelma & Louise and Gladiator called for more internationally competitive filmmaking incentives at a level that would have allowed him to shoot the hit sci-fi movie The Martian in Australia rather than Hungary. Alien: Covenant will not, as previously announced, be the second film in a prequel trilogy that started with Prometheus; it will in fact be the beginning of its own trilogy. “Prometheus was borne out of my frustration that on Alien in 1979 — I only did one as I don’t normally do sequels,” Scott said at a press conference in Sydney, in comments picked up on by The Hollywood Reporter. “I was amazed that in the three that followed that no-one asked the question ‘why the alien, who made it and why?’ Very basic questions.

That’s a lot of foward planning, and maybe a bit of a nightmare for the screenwriters who have to somehow film at least six hours of running time with stories which link to Alien without just being awkward connect the dot tales. Scott also had some more to say about Covenant: “So I’m now going to the next one, which is the next evolution directly connected with the first one.

We’ll kind of pick it up there, with Michael Fassbender in pieces, and it will evolve…” He also confirmed that Noomi Rapace will have some limited screen time but mostly it will be about a new crew, of the supposedly doomed spaceship Covenant. Confirming that Sydney would be the location for Alien: Covenant on Friday, Scott said it would follow on from 2012’s Prometheus and would have Michael Fassbender returning as both android David and a doppelganger.

Scott said he had discovered how much he liked Australians working with “one of the hardest ones”, Russell Crowe, five times including Gladiator, American Gangster and Robin Hood. Shooting is set to start in Australia from May, and despite the mixed reaction to Prometheus, the new trilogy may at least land in a cinema climate with a new-found bug for sci-fi. “Star Wars will be a juggernaut,” Scott “quipped,” as THR tells it. “Why do you think I’m doing sequels?” James Cameron continued the series with Aliens in 1986, David Fincher with Alien 3 in 1992, Jean-Pierre Jeunet with Alien: Resurrection in 1997 and Scott returned for Prometheus in 2012. While he was looking forward to shooting in Sydney, Scott said a sequel to Blade Runner, which he will produce and Denis Villeneuve (Sicario) will direct, was likely headed for Beijing.

Here you can write a commentary on the recording "Ridley Scott reveals Alien: Covenant begins new trilogy to connect to Alien".

* Required fields
Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site