Judge keeps door open for Katy Perry to buy convent

31 Jul 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

Judge gives Katy Perry chance to live at disputed ex-convent in Los Angeles.

Katy Perry, who grew up the daughter of Protestant Christian pastors and shot to fame with the song “I Kissed a Girl,” may get her chance to live in a former convent in Los Angeles.The convent, which Perry has wanted to buy to be her personal residence for several years, is in the middle of a legal fight between a group of elderly nuns and the archbishop of Los Angeles over who has control of the sale and its proceeds.U.S. pop star Katy Perry must wait to buy a $15-million US former convent from the Los Angeles archbishop as a judge refused — for now — to evict a local developer who bought it last month from disgruntled nuns. Some of the nuns don’t want Perry to buy their former home and in June hastily sold the convent to a businesswoman with ambitions of turning it into a boutique hotel.

At a sometimes boisterous court hearing Thursday, with the nuns and their supporters at times booing the archbishop’s lawyer, a judge said the sale of church property by the sisters was improper and invalid. In a lawsuit filed in June, the archdiocese acknowledged the nuns’ institute holds the title to the majestic 8-acre (3-hectare) property built like a Roman villa, but said the archdiocese has power over the ex-convent’s sale. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge James Chalfant rejected on Thursday the attempt by the nuns to sell the property to the restaurateur, Dana Hollister, in a proposed $15.5 million deal. The judge set another hearing for Sept. 15 and ordered the lawyers to provide him with proposals for an intermediate remedy that would be best for the five remaining Sisters of the Most Holy and Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Chalfant said in a Thursday, July 30, hearing that he plans to enter a new preliminary junction that would keep the nuns from completing their sale of the historic site to Hollister.

In case you missed it, two of the five nuns who resided in the convent, Sister Rita Callanan and Sister Catherine Rose, argued that the covent was theirs to legally sell, which they did to Hollister. The judge, expressing concern the property is maintained and the nuns’ needs are met, set a Sept. 15 hearing for attorneys to present arguments on who should rent it. The network said it will air a documentary in November about how the “iNNOCENCE and eXPERIENCE” show was put together and how the band overcame obstacles, including singer Bono’s serious bicycle accident, to perform.

Chalfant’s mixed ruling requires Hollister to pay $25,000 a month to the nuns until a September hearing, when he will determine who should pay rent on the property while the court battle is waged. Davis Guggenheim, maker of “An Inconvenient Truth” and also a documentary about U2’s “Achtung Baby” album, will produce and direct the film about the tour. The archbishop accuses Hollister of taking advantage of Sisters Rita Callanan, 77, Catherine Rose Holzma, 86, and other nuns who once lived in the villa, by paying only $100,000 upfront and the balance with a $9.9 million promissory note His lawsuit, which claims only he and the Vatican can decide the fate of the property, asks that the sale to Hollister “be declared void as a product of elder abuse.” Hollister called the allegation “ridiculous” and defended the sisters’ mental fitness. “They’re not dumb at all,” she said Wednesday. “No one is saying Warren Buffett is 84 years old and can’t run his own company.” Sister Jean-Marie Dunne doesn’t like Gomez’s attitude either. The 88-year-old has said she doesn’t want any part of the public confrontation, according to court documents, but an e-mail she sent him became part of the record. “OLD AGE does not necessarily = SENILITY,” she wrote. The hour-long episodes focus on events ranging from political misbehavior to crime, and will air previous interviews conducted by Walters — including a rare interview with the wife of Mark David Chapman about his killing of John Lennon — along with new material, the channel said.

Hollister, who lives in another former convent nearby, said she’s done some work, restoring the pool and removing an altar from the main room, which has a 30-foot ceiling and hand-carved fireplace. Perry, whose parents are protestant ministers, has agreed to pay $14.5 million for the convent and to relocate an adjoining house of prayer used by priests. Officials at the Ogunquit Playhouse say the 75-year-old, who has battled cancer, was taken to a hospital Wednesday before the evening performance of “Nice Work If You Can Get It.” A statement Thursday said she’s “resting comfortably and will remain in the hospital for observation for the time being.” Harper, maybe best known for the “The Mary Tyler Moore Show,” has been performing in the production as Millicent Winter, with Sally Struthers as Duchess Estonia Dulworth. According to Sisters Rita and Catherine Rose, Gomez told them last year that he wanted to sell to “someone named Katherine Hudson,” who they later learned was Katy Perry.

Carey will direct and costar in “Mariah Carey’s Christmas Project.” The scripted film is slated to air in December as part of its annual “Countdown to Christmas” programming. ■ A judge is set to hear arguments Friday over whether to proceed with a trial that could lead to the release of Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain’s death-scene photos and records. A man who runs a Seattle public access TV show is suing the city and the Seattle Police Department for release of the material under the state Public Records Act, the Seattle Times reported. The city is arguing they should stay sealed for the sake of the family’s privacy. ■ Lupita Nyong’o, Oscar winner for “12 Years a Slave” will make her New York stage debut in September. As for his suit, he filed to “help the Sisters regain possession of their property and ensure that any future proceeds of an authorized sale will be dedicated to their care,” the archdiocese said last week.

Nyong’o will next appear in “Star Wars: Episode VII — The Force Awakens” and will voice a character in JonFavreau’s take on Disney’s “The Jungle Book.” ■ Sylvester Stallone is parting with memorabilia from the “Rocky” and “Rambo” movies. She called the archdiocese short on “humility and honesty” in her e-mail, and the men in charge “rather obsessed with their misconception of their sovereign, ecclesiastical canonical importance.”

The 69-year-old entertainer announced Thursday that he’ll put hundreds of props and costumes from his 40-year career up for auction in October, with a portion of the proceeds benefiting military charities.

Here you can write a commentary on the recording "Judge keeps door open for Katy Perry to buy convent".

* Required fields
All the reviews are moderated.
Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site