‘Hunger Games’ Prequels in the Works? Lionsgate Wants to Continue Arena Stories

9 Dec 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

Hunger Games studio boss on franchise future: ‘It will live on and on and on’.

The final Hunger Games film has barely disappeared out of the cinema yet, but that hasn’t stopped some bigwig studio exec from teasing another movie. The Hunger Games saga could continue via a series of prequel movies in which the action returns to the dreaded arenas of the cruel nation of Panem, according to a top Hollywood studio executive.

There are now talks for prequels to tell the stories of the other Hunger Games, and there have been a total of 75 that could be explored – Catching Fire showed the ‘Quarter Quell’ contest, which marked the 75 anniversary of the bloodthirsty games.The story of Katniss Everdeen is drawing to a close with the recent release of The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 2, but could the blockbuster film series based on Suzanne Collins’ dystopian novels continue? That’s right, the original book-to-film adaptations may be finished, but according to production company Lionsgate, a spin-off (or 50) could very much be on the horizon soon. Vice chairman Michael Burns couldn’t help but tease us with his latest comments at a recent appearance, as he revealed that the franchise could ‘live on and on’.

He suggested there was plenty of material in author Suzanne Collins’ bestselling young adult novel trilogy about a savage dystopian North America which might be mined for prequel movies. Speaking at the UBS Global Media and Communications Conference in New York on Tuesday, he said: ‘The one thing that kids say they missed [from the Mockingjay films] was there were no arenas. Mockingjay – Part 2 opened with an impressive $101 million take during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, down from the $121.9 million last year’s Part 1 earned during its first weekend on release in the North American market. So while this is all ridiculously exciting, we can’t help but wonder exactly what Jennifer Lawrence would think about passing down her Mockingjay pin to a younger actress.

Filmmaker Francis Lawrence, who directed three of the four Hunger Games installments, recently told EW, “The interesting part of the story for me is to go back 75 years earlier and see how everything became the way it is. And I’d loved to be involved, absolutely.’ But wait, it’s not all a definite just yet – the film makers need Suzanne Collins on side, but judging by her recent ‘goodbye’ statement, she’s done with the world of Panem for the foreseeable future.

It’s unlikely that Lionsgate would move forward on further Hunger Games films without Collins’ involvement, or at least her blessing, a person familiar with the studio’s thinking told EW. Future prequels would, however, most likely be forced to cope without the presence of star Jennifer Lawrence, whose character Lionsgate would struggle to shoehorn into earlier-set episodes.

The studio would be following in the footsteps of rival studio Warner Bros, which is creating a prequel trilogy based on the magical Harry Potter universe created by author JK Rowling, and subsequently adapted for eight blockbuster movies. However, Warner boasts the advantage of having recruited Rowling herself to write her debut screenplay for the first new film, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, which will debut in November 2016.

Here you can write a commentary on the recording "‘Hunger Games’ Prequels in the Works? Lionsgate Wants to Continue Arena Stories".

* Required fields
All the reviews are moderated.
Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site